Making ghee is super easy and you should definitely give it a go!
Use ONLY unsalted, organic butter when making your ghee.
- Cut the butter into cubes and place in the saucepan.
- Heat the butter over medium heat until completely melted. Reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes (this will vary based on how hot your stove is). During this time, the butter will go through several stages. It will foam, then bubble, then seem to almost stop bubbling and then foam again. When the second foam occurs, the ghee is done. At this point, the melted butter should be bright gold in color and there should be reddish brown pieces of milk solids at the bottom of the pan.
- Let cool slightly for 2-3 minutes and then slowly pour through the wire mesh strainer lined with several layers of cheesecloth. The small bits of milk protein are usually discarded, though a friend told me that her grandmother used to mix those with flour (or almond flour) and a small amount of honey to make a flavorful fudge-like treat.
- Ghee will last up to a month at room temperature or even longer in the fridge.