According to Ayurveda the transition between winter and spring is the perfect time to cleanse. Your body, in conjunction with the change of the seasons, naturally wants to slough off the congestion and sluggishness of winter.
Here are 5 simple Ayurvedic tips to ease you into spring:
- Eat warm, light, nourishing foods such as soups, or roasted/sautéed/steamed vegetables with grains like quinoa, couscous, or millet. Add vegetables and herbal elixirs that are bitter in taste. Herbal bitters with ingredients like dandelion, ginger, turmeric, clove, and/or black pepper are great for digestion.
- Avoid heavy cold foods such as ice cream, cheese, and red meat. (Remember, eating a lighter diet for a few weeks while the weather is changing helps burn away toxins rather than accumulate them….yay for Ayurveda!)
- Get lots of rest. Seriously…the body needs time to replenish and getting enough rest is super important.
- Drink plenty of warm water and herbal tea. Warming ginger tea is recommended as it’s a nice contrast to the damp, cold of spring.
- Do yoga, take walks daily or exercise in a way that feels good for your body.
Want the full Ayurveda “Cheat Sheet” for Spring? Get a printable version of your guide by clicking the cheat sheet below!